Senior Cup Final Match Report 2016

Solihull Moors are crowned Birmingham FA Senior Cup Champions after beating Birmingham City 2-1

On Thursday 5th May, Birmingham City was looking to retain the Birmingham FA Senior Cup trophy against Solihull Moors who were fresh from celebrating promotion to the National League. The game was held at St. Andrews and was played in front of over 1,000 fans from each clubs and also fans and supporters of football.

Following an even start, it was the visitors that fashioned the first chance when Liam Daly headed over from Ryan Beswick’s cross after just five minutes.

Two minutes later Blues should have taken the lead when Koby Arthur’s through ball reached Alex Jones. Unfortunately for the Blues front man, just as he found himself in a great shooting position, he slipped at the vital moment. Jones quickly had an opportunity to redeem himself, but fired over from the edge of the box.

Blues then starting to ramp up the pressure and Mitch Hancox tested Daniel Lewis with a stinging effort, which the Moors keeper did well to scramble round the post for a corner. Arthur then twice went close in quick succession. His first effort curled just wide of the post and his second struck the bar.

But it was not all one way traffic and James Armson was not far away with a well-struck shot from 20 yards. On the half-hour mark, former Blues Academy player Akwasi Asante forced Jake Weaver into a good save from close range. The Blues keeper only managed to parry the ball into the path of Daly, but he fired into the side netting of the goal.

However, just three minutes later, Moors found themselves ahead with a scrambled goal. The ball was sent into the Blues area where it bobbled around before Knight side-footed home from six yards out.

Weaver then prevented what looked like a second goal after he raced off his line to block Stefan Moore’s attempt with his body.

With the half drawing to a close, BCFC’s Brown tried his luck with a curling shot from distance, but was unable to keep it down and it flew well over the bar.

Half-time: Solihull Moors 1 - Birmingham City Under-21s 0

Within a minute of the restart, Jones had a decent chance to restore parity, but his shot was deflected behind for a corner. Reece Brown then pulled the ball back from the by-line for Charlie Cooper, but with the Blues midfielder looking odds on to score he fired straight at the keeper.

Blues continued to press for an equaliser and Noe Baba tested the Moors Stopper Lewis with a fizzing 30-yard effort, which Lewis claimed at the second attempt.

At the other end of the pitch, Wes Harding was forced to deflect Daley’s goal bound header behind for a corner, before Brown tested Lewis from distance.

But almost immediately the Blues midfielder finally levelled the scores with a terrific finish after curling the ball home into the bottom corner of the net shot from at least 25 yards.

Blues were now looking the more likely side to claim the win and Cooper should have done better when he was presented with a chance close in, before Jones dragged a shot wide. Brown was then just inches away as he stabbed an effort just the wrong side of the post.

As the game entered the final quarter of an hour of normal time, Brown thought he had scored a second, only to have his attempt ruled out for offside.

The lively Blues youngster then went desperately close with a wonderful strike from the edge of the box, which struck the underside of the bar before bouncing clear. With 87 minutes played and penalties looking a distinct possibility, Blues were made to pay for some sloppy defensive play.
The ball was slung in from a throw-in and with Blues failing to deal with it. Knights had the simple task of prodding the ball into an empty net.

Full-time: Solihull Moors 2 - Birmingham City Under-21s 1

Match Officials

Referee: Lisa Rashid
Assistant Referee: Paul Wainman
Assistant Referee: Simon Lane
Fourth Official: Neil Pratt