A Coach Education Update from Birmingham County FA
Following recent announcements from The FA, Birmingham County FA are now able to provide an update in regards to the future delivery of coach education courses across the county.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, courses across the county have been suspended since March 2020. During the period of lockdown, discussions at a national level have been ongoing relating to the future of coach education, including courses delivered by County FAs. As a result of this review, The FA has announced the decision that all coach education delivery will be moving across to an online learning platform, administered by The FA centrally, with effect from March 2021.
Birmingham County FA has been given the option to recommence the delivery of our coach education programme between now and December 2020 within the strict guidance that has been put into place by The FA via their Covid-19 Guidance. Birmingham FA have considered this guidance carefully and have looked at all options for course delivery, but it is with great regret that the decision has been made to not deliver further FA courses. As a result, and based on the new guidance provided by The FA, we will no longer be in a position to deliver any new FA Level 1 in Coaching Football, FA Level 2 in Coaching Football, UEFA B, Goalkeeping, Futsal, FA Safeguarding Children, FA Level 1 Introduction to First Aid in Football or other FA courses.
This decision has been carefully considered and it has not been taken lightly. The safety of all of our learners and tutors is paramount and ensuring that we do not place anyone at risk of contracting Covid-19 has to be our priority. Alongside the guidance provided by The FA and recent Government announcements, it is felt that we are unable to fully meet the requirements that have been put into place for the delivery of courses.
Birmingham County FA has been delivering Coach Education courses for many years and we have prided ourselves that our organisation, delivery and service to grassroots clubs and their workforce has been a beacon for the county. We are fully aware of the impact that Coach Education has across the county in support of the grassroots workforce and we are truly disappointed that we are no longer able to deliver our programme.
In regards to referee-specific courses, these will remain on hold until the end of 2020, therefore there will be no further Referee courses for the remainder of this year. A new programme of courses will be released in the coming months, with delivery planned from the start of 2021.
The delivery of our Coach Education programme would not have had the success it has without the support of our tutors, clubs, leagues, facilities, volunteers and staff and we would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the delivery over the many years and for their professionalism, enthusiasm and dedication to supporting the Birmingham County FA. The impact they have had on the countless number of individuals cannot be underestimated and we believe this is what has made the programme the success it is.
Moving forward, we will be releasing plans on how we intend to support grassroots coaches in the county to ensure they have access to ongoing Personal Development opportunities and how we can support new coaches coming into the game. We will be arranging a series of coaching development workshops and events across the county to continue our support to coaches.
Birmingham FA remain committed to supporting all ‘in flight’ learners on Level 2 Coaching and UEFA B courses which includes the completion of your course and receiving in-situ visits, a separate communication will be sent to all relevant individuals in due course to confirm the details moving forward.
Guidance in regards to how this affects FA Charter Standard accreditation and Annual Health checks for clubs is still to be provided, as soon as we have an update on this it will be communicated across the county.
Coach Education FAQs
My course is on hold due to COVID, how do I finish my qualification?
• All in-flight learners will be contacted shortly to explain how you can finish your remaining workshops
I missed a day of my course and need to catch up, how do I complete?
• You will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
I need to renew my FA Safeguarding Children Workshop
• All Safeguarding renewals can be completed online at https://www.thefa.com/bootroom/learning/qualifications/online-safeguarding-children-re-certification
I need to complete the FA Safeguarding Children Workshop for the first time
• The interim plan whilst the courses are not available is for learners to complete the Safeguarding For All online module at https://www.thefa.com/bootroom/learning/qualifications/safeguarding-courses
I need to update my FA First Aid qualification
• We advise all learners to complete the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Module and Concussion Module at https://www.thefa.com/bootroom/learning/qualifications/medical-courses , this will not update or replace your qualification but it will update your knowledge until there is a first aid course available with FA Education.
I want to complete the FA Level 1 in Coaching Football course
• Moving forward this course will be available online from March 2021 through The FA
I need to complete the FA Level 2 in Coaching Football
• Moving forward this course will be available to book through The FA
I want to become a Referee
• The Referee Course will be available to book with Birmingham FA, please complete the Expression of Interest form to receive more information when courses are available.