Chelmsley Trophy Lift

MATCH REPORT: Sunday Youth Cup

Emily Peacock
Chelmsley Colts U17 were crowned champions of the 2022 Sunday Youth Cup after a penalty shootout victory against Wednesfield Hammers U18

Chelmsley Colts U17 were crowned champions of the 2022 Sunday Youth Cup after a penalty shootout victory against Wednesfield Hammers U18.

Team Line Ups

Chelmsley Colts U17: 1 Hill, 5 Walsh, 15 Hadley, 4 Fowler, 3 Checkley, 11 Large, 10 Wilkes, 9 Quarry, 8 Gosling, 17 Walker, 6 Thomas. Subs: Wilson, Parker, Tester, Kitching, Cleary.

Wednesfield Hammers U18: 1 Cinari, 20 Johnson, 22 Sangha, 19 De Sousa, 23 Sanches, 16 Sidaway, 7 Forrester, 2 Mendy, 14 Clarke, 10 Sidhu, 11 Cottee. Subs: Wellsbury, Jackson, Rutter, Pel, Limer.

Birmingham County Football Association were delighted to welcome the Worshipful the Mayor of Sandwell, Councillor Richard Jones to the Sunday Youth Cup final on Sunday 29 May 2022.

The tie started with Chelmsley getting the ball rolling, but the first chance would fall to Wednesfield as Sanches went inches wide from a dangerous free kick in the 5th minute. It was however Chelmsley that would strike first just a couple of minutes later as the ball was sent to Wilkes on the left and he let fly from around 25 yards out, and due to the slick surface, the ball skipped past Cinari. Their lead was almost doubled instantly as Wilkes had another go, but this time was denied by an emphatic save from the ‘keeper.

Chelmsley were on top at this point, and it took just another 3 minutes for them to have their third clear cut chance of the game as Hadley sent a long ball over the top for Thomas, but his effort was cleared off the line, and wouldn’t have stood anyway as the linesman had flagged for offside. Wednesfield would now get their next chance in the 20th minute as a cross from Sanches found Johnson in the box, but he was unable to direct it on target and saw the ball drift wide. Walker then had an opportunity for Chelmsley with a dangerous free kick on the edge of the box, but his strike was straight at Cinari.

The next 10 minutes saw a couple of Chelmsley substitutions with Cleary and Kitching replacing Gosling and Walsh, alongside a disallowed goal for the team in blue – with the final touch adjudged to be from a player in an offside position. Wednesfield did have a chance amongst this as Sanches, who was causing problems down the right-hand side, beat two defenders but his cross evaded his teammates and was cleared. Cleary, just 7 minutes after coming on, almost extended his sides lead as his effort whistled past the post after a slight deflection took it away from Cinari.

Before the half-time break, Chelmsley made their third change as Tester came on for Wilkes. The final chance of the half would fall for Wednesfield as Sidhu broke through a challenge and found himself in space in the box, but his effort was smothered by Hill. Referee Tom Bartlett then drew a close to the first 45 minutes of the entertaining tie.

Mayor of Sandwell

Before the second half got underway, Chelmsley made two more changes as Fowler and Thomas made way for Wilson and Parker. On the 47th minute, Kitching crossed the ball in from a wide free kick on the right and the ball fell to Checkley on the edge of the box, his strike was wild and went well over the crossbar. In the next minute, the first yellow card was brandished to Cleary for a late challenge. This was followed up with the second yellow card in the 54th minute as De Sousa found himself in the book.

Chelmsley then took advantage and extended their lead as Kitching crossed the ball into a dangerous area and Wilson did well to control the ball and turn before smashing it past Cinari to make the score 2-0. In the aftermath of the celebrations, Wilkes returned to the field to replace Large. Almost immediately, they almost had a third as Quarry found himself on the end of a through ball with only Cinari to beat but the keeper rushed out and did well to get a touch on the ball as the striker tried to round him. Wednesfield then made their first change of the game as Pel replaced Johnson.

The next chance was a huge one as Wilson, making a great impact in the 15 minutes he’d been on the pitch, got his head to a corner and watched as the ball bounced back off the crossbar before being cleared away. It wasn’t cleared far though as another cross came in and the header out fell to Wilson. He broke through a couple of challenges on the edge of the box to find himself through on goal, but as he poked the ball towards the net, Quarry made sure by smashing it into the net and he was offside, so another goal was chalked away for the team in blue.

In the 66th minute, Walsh returned to the field of play as he replaced Checkley. A short two minutes later, Quarry emphatically flicked the ball on with his heel, to put Tester through on goal but Cinari was equal to his effort and was able to gather his parry. Instantly, the ball was in the Chelmsley net as Wednesfield had one back through Cottee. He found himself in space just inside the area and he curled the ball past Hill into the bottom corner which sparked his side into a confident, feel good manner. Then came 3 quick fire substitutions with Wednesfield taking the opportunity to bring Rutter on for Sangha, whilst Chelmsley saw Checkley and Gosling return to the pitch in replace of Parker and Cleary.

Gosling almost made an immediate impact on his return as the ball fell to him central of the goal on the volley, but his first-time effort went well wide. Tester was the next player to go close for the Colts as the ball fell to him on the corner of the six-yard box and again Cinari was able to smother the shot. With Wednesfield frantically on the hunt for their equaliser, the game had opened up a bit and it was the team in red who would have the next chance as Sanches floated a corner in from the right and Clarke got his head to it before a deflection was kind to Hill who pounced on the ball. Limer then made an appearance as he replaced Mendy on the 78th minute, before a double change just a minute later with Jackson and Wellbury making way for Sidhu and Forrester as Wednesfield tried to shake it up in search for that elusive equaliser. Chelmsley also made a change here with ten minutes to go as Wilson was replaced by Thomas.

A couple of chances for each team would follow, as Wednesfield went close after Cottee drove forward, laying it off to Jackson who pulled it back for Wellsbury to have a go, but his shot was blocked. The rebound was picked up by Clarke outside the area and his shot was tame, making it easy for Hill to collect. At the other end of the pitch, Chelmsley had a chance to secure the victory as Wilkes picked up a loose ball and tried to loop it over Cinari, who did well to block it and then smother the ball. There was to be late drama in the tie as on the 86th minute, Wednesfield would have their just deserve for their pressure as the ball was floated in from a deep free kick and it was Clarke who rose highest to nod the ball past a helpless Hill, thus sparking wild celebrations for the Hammers. Somehow, they were denied a certain winner just a minute later as Sanches fired the ball goal bound from a few yards out as it fell kindly to him, but Hill did incredibly well to instinctively stick a foot out and stop the shot.

With penalties now etched in both managers minds, they made their final changes of the game to sure up their spot kick takers and Wednesfield replaced Pel with Johnson and Limer with Mendy, before Chelmsley sent Kitching on in place of Walsh. This would be the last action of the second half as the referee brought the game to an end, taking it to penalties.

Chelmlsey went first and scored, before Hill saved the first Wednesfield penalty. The Colts would also see a penalty saved as Cinari was equal to their third before a long drawn-out shootout with no player putting a foot wrong. It was to be Hill’s day as he saved the 10th Wednesfield penalty, which resulted in a sea of blue rushing towards him as he had secured a 9-8 victory on penalties for Chelmsley Colts U17 and would have the opportunity to lift the trophy as captain.

Chelmsley Colts U17 Celebration

The two clubs had nominated their individual worthy of the Club Volunteer award and Jason Gosling and Wayne Sidaway picked this up for Chelmsley Colts U17 and Wednesfield Hammers U18 respectively.

The man of the match award was handed to Wednesfield Hammers U18’s number 14, Tyree Clarke after a tireless performance in the middle of the pitch for them.  

You can view the official photographs taken by Focus Dunn Sports Photography by clicking here.

Extended highlights of the Cup Final can be watched below: